U.S. eases COVID-19 restrictions at land border for fully vaccinated Canadians

(AP Photo/Paul Sancya)
For the first time in nearly 20 months, non-essential traffic is once again moving in both directions across the Canada-U.S. land border. Shortly after midnight, Customs and Border Protection agents began letting fully vaccinated vacationers, visitors and day-trippers drive into the United States for the first time since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020. Not everyone is taking advantage, however. Many Canadians with family members living in the U.S. say they aren’t lining up to cross just yet, thanks in part to Canada’s requirement that they get a costly COVID-19 test in order to return home. New York congressman Brian Higgins will join today with mayors and community leaders from both sides of the Canada-U.S. border to urge the federal government in Ottawa to abandon the rule. Canada’s chief medical officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, said last week that the government is well aware of the complaints about the test requirement and that it is under review. (The Canadian Press)
Province to expand eligibility for COVID-19 booster shot by end of month

Nova Scotia will begin to administer COVID-19 booster doses to more eligible groups by the end of November. The Province says it will accept all five recommendations announced by the National Advisory Committee on Immunization recently, and that includes offering boosters to people with a higher risk of serious COVID-19 illness or decreased protection since vaccination.
Groups who will be eligible for a booster dose in Nova Scotia include:
— anyone 80 and older, followed by anyone ages 70 to 79
— adult frontline healthcare workers who were double vaccinated with an interval of less than 28 days between their first and second doses
— people who received two doses of the AstraZeneca Vaxzevria/COVISHIELD vaccine or one dose of Janssen vaccine
The Province is also engaging with Indigenous and African Nova Scotian communities on the best way to offer booster doses in those communities.
Nova Scotia releases initial employee vaccination numbers among health care, education sectors

The Province has released some data on the vaccination rates of workers in healthcare, long-term care, education and emergency health services. As of last Thursday, between 50 and 90 per cent of employees in key sectors had provided proof of vaccination. Of those who responded, most are fully vaccinated:
— Nova Scotia Health Authority: 91 per cent
— IWK Health Centre: 99 per cent
— Long-term care: 93 per cent
— Home care: 89 per cent
— Education: 97 per cent
— Emergency Health Services: 99 per cent
All employees are required to have at least a first dose of vaccine by November 30, with a requirement to show proof of full vaccination 70 days after their first dose. Those who are partially vaccinated may be subjected to other health and safety measures, including testing. Those who do not have a first dose by November 30 will be placed on unpaid administrative leave.
Vaccine clinics this week in Pictou County

Nova Scotia Health says Outreach Vaccine Clinics are continuing to tour the Northern Zone this week to help support vaccine booking availability for Nova Scotians. Clinics will be happening in River John at the Old School Community Centre today (Monday, Nov. 8) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Tuesday at the Westville Town Hall Gym from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. **Drop-ins only.
Two municipal byelections fill vacancies left by provincial election

New councillors will fill spots left open in a couple municipalities after August’s provincial election. On Saturday, Victoria Lomond took the seat for District 10 in the Municipality of Colchester, which was previously held by Tom Taggart who became a Progressive Conservative MLA in the summer election. The other vote was in District 7 in the Municipality of East Hants, and Walter Tingley won it over three other candidates. Tingley replaced John MacDonald, the new PC MLA.
Sports Notes:
Saturday Nov 6th at the Hector Arena in Pictou the Northern Subway Selects defeated the Bussey Auto Penguins 5-0. Goals scored by Brooke Thompson 3, Julia MacDonald 1 and Sara Stewart 1. Shutout to Gabby Arsenault.
The first weekend of regular season saw the Fundy Highland U15AA Stars face Metro West Force Tigers twice. The first game was held at the Hector Arena in Pictou at 2:30 on Saturday. In a 4-0 Win, Ada White had the game winning goal in the first and secured a hat trick with an empty netter in the third. Avery Henderson had a single. Assists were picked up by Stella Henderson, Acelyn Potter, Meika Martin, Karlee Rose and Raylee Hendsbee. Kenli Ross earned the shut out. Game #2 ended with a 4-1 victory on Sunday at BMO Centre. Hendsbee started the Stars scoring with assists by S. Henderson and Martin. Singles were then added by Abella Purdy, Kori Griffon and Potter with assists by Leah Higgins, S. Henderson, Purdy, Hendsbee and A. Henderson. Ross had the win in nets.
The 2nd Annual Oliver Smith Legacy Hockey game will be held on Thursday from 2-3:30pm at the Keating Millennium Centre StFX in Antigonish. Doors will open at 1:30pm, and proof of vaccination is mandatory. The life of Oliver Smith will be celebrated during a U16 charity game played by Oliver’s former teammates and peers. There will be a silent auction, 50/50 and chuck a puck raising money for Ewing Sarcoma Foundation of Canada Endowment Fund. Donations will also be accepted at the door.








