Cannabis facility in Stellarton to close in February 2022

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
The cannabis production facility in Stellarton is closing. HEXO, which bought the facility earlier this year, announced the closure on Tuesday. The Stellarton plant is one of three facilities that Hexo is closing. The Stellarton facility will close on February 28 next year.
More arrest warrants issued for man charged in death of Prabhjot Singh Katri

Photo: (Submitted/RCMP)
Nova Scotia RCMP are asking for help locating a man who is the subject of multiple province-wide arrest warrants, including one relating to the killing of Prabhjot Singh Katri. 22 year old Marcus Michael Denny of Pictou Landing First Nation, is charged with assault with a weapon, possession of a weapon, impaired driving, resisting arrest, obstructing a peace officer and failing to comply with a condition of a release order. Colchester County RCMP and Pictou District RCMP obtained warrants in connection with those charges for incidents that occurred on July 1 and Oct. 17. Denny is also wanted on a province-wide arrest warrant obtained by Truro Police related to the Sept. 5 death of Singh Katri. He has been charged with accessory to murder after the fact in that case. Police said they have made attempts to locate Denny, but they are now appealing to the public for help. Anyone who sees Marcus Denny is asked to refrain from approaching him and to call police. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to contact Colchester County District RCMP at 902-893-6820, Pictou County District RCMP at 902-485-4333, or the Truro Police Service at 902-895-5351. Should you wish to remain anonymous, call Nova Scotia Crime Stoppers toll free at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), submit a secure web tip at www.crimestoppers.ns.ca, or use the P3 Tips App.
N.S. reports 56 cases of COVID-19, 1 death on Tuesday

Nova Scotia is reporting 56 new cases of COVID-19 and another death related to the virus. A man in his 80s in Eastern Zone has died. Thirty of the new cases are in the western zone and another seven are in the northern region, which are both seeing community spread primarily related to a faith-based gathering in late October. An outbreak at a long-term-care home in Pugwash linked to secondary transmission from the gathering has now grown to include 17 residents and two staff members. The number of active cases in Nova Scotia has increased to 281, with 10 people in hospital, including two in intensive care.
Nova Scotia NDP Leader Gary Burrill to step down once party chooses successor

After nearly six years at the helm of the Nova Scotia NDP, Gary Burrill, who made his mark as a folksy and comfortable leader with a quick wit, announced Tuesday he would step down from the role as soon as his party chooses his successor. He made the announcement at the legislature, saying he felt the time was right to allow his party to renew its leadership before the next provincial election. Burrill, who turned 66 during last summer’s provincial election campaign, said the party has 12 months under its rules to find his replacement. He was elected leader in February 2016 and led the New Democrats through two provincial elections, finishing third both times. The party was elected in seven ridings in the 2017 election, which was won by the Liberals, and his party took six seats in the Aug. 17 vote won by the Progressive Conservatives. Before being elected to the party’s top job, Burrill, an ordained United Church minister, had served as a backbencher in the government of former NDP premier Darrell Dexter, from 2009 to 2013. (The Canadian Press)
Remembrance Day services modified due to COVID-19 restrictions in province

For the second consecutive year, Remembrance Day services in the province will be modified due to COVID-19 restrictions. Nova Scotia Health says attendance at services at the seven veterans’ long-term care facilities in the province, including Northumberland Veterans Unit at Sutherland Harris Memorial Hospital in Pictou, will be by invitation only. Normally, many of these facilities would hold public ceremonies on November 11th.
Meanwhile, there are a number of Remembrance Day services happening throughout the Pictou County tomorrow. A number of legions and churches will be holding ceremonies, and the list can be viewed on the event’s section of our website.
N.S. approves 37 projects for beautification and community works programs

Funding has been announced through two provincial programs aimed at helping will municipalities beautify spaces and provide work opportunities. 28 projects will benefit through the Beautification and Streetscaping Program, and 9 projects will receive funding through the Community Works Program. Some of those projects include the Town of Antigonish beautification of James Street project, Municipality of Colchester’s Fundy Discovery Site, Downtown Facade Improvements in New Glasgow, and Campbell’s Marina Boat Slip in Tatamagouche.
New Exhibit Explores Mi’kmaq Connection to Land and Sea

Salina Kemp, Guest Curator, in the living treaties section of the exhibit (Communications Nova Scotia)
The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax has opened a new exhibit that reflects the many ways the Mi’kmaq people are connected to the land and the water. The exhibit offers visitors the opportunity to learn about treaties and reconciliation. Salina Kemp, a Mi’kmaq historian and guest curator, says the exhibit is also intended to provide Mi’kmaq youth with a sense of cultural pride. For more information, visit https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/
Provincial Parks Celebrate Record Camping Season

Nova Scotia’s provincial parks are reporting a record number of campers to provincial campgrounds this year. There was a thirteen per cent increase from the shorter 2020 camping season with over 91,000 overnight stays. The province says around 86 per cent of campers were from Nova Scotia, thirteen per cent from other parts of the country, and about one per cent were from the United States. The Department of Natural Resources and Renewables also says there were more than one million visitors to camping and day-use parks this year. All provincial parks, beaches and campgrounds are now closed for the season. Parks are accessible but there is no access to washrooms or garbage receptacles. Visitors are encouraged to keep spaces clean and safe for everyone by not leaving any garbage or waste behind.








