Nova Scotia to start vaccinating children five to 11 against COVID-19 late next week

Photo credit: Communications Nova Scotia
Nova Scotia is expected to receive its first shipment of pediatric COVID-19 vaccine this week, with the first shots for children aged five to 11 to be available by Dec. 2. Details of the rollout, however, will have to wait until there is certainty on the date and time of the vaccine’s arrival, chief medical officer of health Dr. Robert Strang said Wednesday. He said Nova Scotia is still waiting to finalize details because the government has requested that its bulk shipment of vaccine be broken down into smaller quantities that can be sent directly to pharmacies. Adding adjustments are still being made to the province’s online booking system to accommodate the new age group. He said once the shots become available, there would be capacity within the health system to administer first doses before Christmas to 80 per cent of the 68,000 children who are eligible.
Meanwhile, health officials reported 20 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday and 31 more recoveries from the disease. N.S. has 172 active reported infections and 18 people in hospital, including six in intensive care. Outbreaks previously identified in the province’s western and northern zones appeared to be stabilizing, officials said, although there was still evidence of low-level transmission in the northern zone.
There’s been a big jump in key Nova Scotia public sector workers reporting their COVID-19 vaccination status ahead of a November 30th deadline for them to get at least a first dose. An update from the province shows 90 per cent of education sector workers have reported their status, up from 75 per cent a week earlier. The rates of fully vaccinated employees in the health, education and long-term care sectors are now all 95 per cent or higher among those reporting their status.
The Trudeau Liberals have outlined their latest aid package for an economy recovering from COVID-19. They are proposing targeted support to severely affected businesses, locked-down workers, and extra weeks of benefits that expired just days ago. The legislation introduced in the House of Commons is one of four bills the government wants MPs to pass before the middle of December ahead of a winter break. The Liberals are proposing to send 300 dollars a week to workers who find themselves off the job because of a pandemic-related lockdown between now and spring 2022. The bill would let the cabinet decide which regions are considered in lockdown, defined as an order for businesses to close and workers to stay home for at least 14 straight days. It would block benefits to those who refuse to get vaccinated. Payments would be retroactive to October 24th when the Liberals let a pandemic-era benefit for the unemployed expire. (The Canadian Press)
Crews assessing damage from punishing storm in Atlantic Canada

Photo credit: Amanda Lawrence
Weather warnings have been taken down for the parts of Atlantic Canada that have been hit with punishing rain for nearly three days. The slow-moving storm has dropped about 200-millimetres of rain or more, with Nova Scotia’s Cape Breton Island and southwestern Newfoundland the hardest hit. Public Works crews are out assessing and repairing storm damage to Nova Scotia’s roadways. Washouts and closures are reported along dozens of roads in the province’s northern corner. There are even washouts on Cape Breton’s Cabot Trail. And in coastal Port aux Basques, Newfoundland, pounding rainfall overwhelmed the sewer system, inundating the Trans-Canada Highway. (The Canadian Press)
Public Works staff and crews are working to address the impact of Tuesday’s heavy rain and strong winds which caused flooding and washouts in parts of Nova Scotia with Victoria, Antigonish and Inverness counties hit hardest. As of Wednesday night, the rainstorm had resulted in the closure of more than 25 roads in eastern Nova Scotia and Cape Breton, with washouts on some roads in northern Nova Scotia.
Some of the roads and bridges that had been closed as of Wednesday afternoon include:
Pictou County
— John Munroe Road
— Strathglass Road
Antigonish County
— Cloverville Road to Walsh Road
— Old Maryvale Road
— Mill Road
— Old Beaver Road, Beaver Meadow
— North Lakevale Road
— School Road, Brierly Brook
— Route 316 from Country Harbour Cross Road to Isaacs Harbour
Colchester County
— Willow Church Road, Tatamagouche
Man charged with 2nd-degree murder in Truro homicide

Truro Police have charged a man with second-degree murder after a body was discovered in an apartment early Sunday. Nathan Joseph Knockwood, 31, was arrested without incident Tuesday in connection with the death of 53-year-old Troy Whidden. Officers were called Sunday to an apartment on Arthur Street in Truro after receiving a report of an unresponsive man. They found Whidden’s body in the apartment and referred the case to the medical examiner, who determined the death was a homicide. Authorities have not released specific details of the killing. However, police have said they do not believe it was a random act and they are not looking for any other suspects.
Truro man reported missing

Truro Police photo (submitted)
Truro Police Service received a missing persons report on Monday night as 56 year old, Frank Patrick Dillon (also known as Pat), did not return to his home in Truro as expected. Pat Dillon is described as being 5’10”, average build, balding, dark hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing a grey sweatshirt and blue jeans. Police say he does have connections in Dartmouth, and may have travelled outside of Truro. He is not known to have access to a vehicle. Police are concerned for his safety, and would like to hear from anyone that may have any information regarding the whereabouts of Frank Patrick (Pat) Dillon.
Band election in Pictou Landing First Nation happening today

Pictou Landing First Nation’s band election is happening today at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church. There are three candidates in the running for Chief, including Hubert Nicholas, Tonya Francis, and incumbent Andrea Paul. In addition, 30 people have been nominated for band council, including all six current councillors; Jenny Fraser, Haley Bernard, Dominic Denny, Wayne Denny, AJ Francis and Derek Francis. Voting will take place between 9am-8pm.
Salvation Army launches annual Christmas Kettle Campaign

The Salvation Army has officially launched its 2021 Christmas Kettle Campaign – the organization’s largest public fundraising drive of the year. With the ongoing pressures of the pandemic and the impact of inflation on low-income families and individuals, it is expected that the need for support will continue to grow in the coming months. Keep an eye out for kettles in the at various locations including grocery stores, NSLC locations, Highland Square, Walmart, and Giant Tiger. Anyone who would like to volunteer can call and leave a message for Major Dan Roode at 902-396-4851. The local Salvation Army is also collecting toys at the Highland Square Mall (in former Laura Secord location).
First Maritime Hockey League Week of Reconciliation game in N.S. will be played tonight in Pictou County

The first Maritime Hockey League Week of Reconciliation game in Nova Scotia will be played tonight between the Pictou County Weeks Junior A Crushers and the Truro Junior ‘A’ Bearcats. The puck drops at 7 p.m. at the Pictou County Wellness Centre. During the MHL’s Week of Reconciliation, each of the league’s twelve teams will host a game where specially designed jerseys will be worn. The jerseys have an image of children outside a residential school, along with the phrase “Every Child Matters.”
Fuel prices down in N.B. overnight

A slight drop in fuel prices in New Brunswick today. Gas dropped 1.5 cents. Diesel is down 2.4 cents per litre. Nova Scotia will set its fuel prices at midnight.
Nova Scotians Encouraged to ‘Be Winter Ready’

The Province is encouraging all Nova Scotians to prepare themselves and their vehicles for winter conditions before the snow starts to fall. “As Nova Scotians, we know our weather can be unpredictable,” said Finance and Treasury Board Minister Allan MacMaster, on behalf of Public Works Minister Kim Masland. “That’s why it’s so important to be prepared. Just as our maintenance staff and operators are getting ready to keep provincial roads safe, we want to remind Nova Scotians to get ready for safe winter driving, too.” Booking a service appointment is the first step in being prepared for snow and ice on the roads. Vehicles should have snow tires, antifreeze and an emergency kit.
Other winter driving tips include:
— wear seatbelts (seatbelts are required year round)
— slow down and leave additional space between vehicles – it takes more time and distance to brake in adverse conditions
— maintain a safe distance from snowplows to give operators room to do their job
— keep the gas tank at least half full
— plan ahead and include extra time for possible delays.
To help spread the word about winter preparedness and road safety, the Province is running its annual Be Winter Ready campaign. Featuring television, radio and online ads, the campaign promotes safe driving tips and shares details about the tools and services that are available to make winter driving easier and safer.








