N.S. reports 287 new COVID-19 cases, the highest number since start of pandemic

The province announced 287 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, the highest number reported in one day since the pandemic arrived in the province. It’s the seventh day in a row Nova Scotia has announced more than 100 new infections. There are 191 cases in Central Zone, 57 cases in Eastern Zone, 24 cases in Northern Zone and 15 cases in Western Zone. Premier Tim Houston and Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, will provide a COVID-19 update today. It’s set for 2 p.m. The update will be livestreamed at: https://novascotia.ca/stayinformed/webcast
An update From Nova Scotia Health last night on potential COVID-19 exposures includes a COVID EXPOSURE NOTIFICATION for:
- Little Harbour Community Centre (Little Harbour) on December 5 between 3:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
RCMP charge man after he barricaded himself in Pictou home Wednesday morning

Pictou County District RCMP have charged a man they say had uttered threats and barricaded himself in a home in Pictou. At about 2:45 a.m. Wednesday, police were called to a home on Chestnut St. in Pictou as a man who was in the home had been sending threatening messages to a woman known to him. When police arrived, they determined that the man had a firearm that he was threatening to use and he was refusing to exit the home. Police began communicating with the man over the phone and continued a dialogue with him for approximately forty-five minutes. The man ultimately decided to surrender and was arrested without further incident. The 23-year old Pictou man is facing a charge of Uttering Threats Against a Person; and several firearms related charges.
Man charged after fleeing police in New Glasgow

New Glasgow Regional Police have charged a Pictou County man for flight from police, dangerous driving and a number of other offenses. Early Wednesday night, an officer tried to conduct a traffic stop on Marsh Street in New Glasgow, but the driver took off and fled the area. On Thursday afternoon, the Pictou County Integrated Street Crime Enforcement Unit located the vehicle in Stellarton and immediately arrested the driver without incident. A 27-year-old Pictou County man is charged with Dangerous driving; Flight from police; Possession of stolen property; and two counts of driving while prohibited. He was remanded into custody and is scheduled to appear in Pictou Provincial Court today.
Northern Pulp files a statement of claim in N.S. Supreme Court

Northern Pulp filed a statement of claim Thursday in Nova Scotia Supreme Court as it sues the province $450-million in lost profits and costs. The statement of claim alleges that provincial government bureaucrats conspired to force the company to voluntarily close the pulp mill to get the taxpayer off its legal obligations to Northern pulp and the Pictou Landing First nation.
Fuel prices up in Nova Scotia

Fuel prices are up in Nova Scotia this morning. Gas increased 3.1 cents to 134.4 cents per litre in the local area. Diesel is up 2.7 cents per litre to 134.6.
Tolls lifted for Nova Scotia motorists on province’s only tolled section of highway

Photo credit: Communications Nova Scotia
Fees have been lifted for Nova Scotia-registered vehicles on the only tolled stretch of highway in the province. The Nova Scotia government says the change took effect Thursday morning on the Cobequid Pass between Amherst and Truro. It says tolls of four-dollars for passenger vehicles and up to 24-dollars for commercial vehicles will remain in place for drivers from outside the province to help cover maintenance costs. The province said last month that it had paid off the remaining bonds for the highway built through a public-private partnership.
Nova Scotia reaches population of 1 million

The Nova Scotia government says the province has marked a major population milestone. Statistics Canada says the province’s population has surpassed one million people. Premier Tim Houston says in a statement that after years of a declining population, Nova Scotia is growing with immigration playing a key role. His government says it plans to grow the population to two million by 2060 by attracting 25-thousand newcomers a year through a combination of migration from other parts of Canada and strategic immigration efforts.








