586 new COVID-19 cases announced in Nova Scotia on Wednesday

The province reported 586 new COVID-19 cases in Nova Scotia on Wednesday. There are 393 cases in the Central Zone, 106 in the Eastern Zone, 56 in the Northern Zone and 31 in the Western Zone. Public health says six patients have tested positive for COVID-19 at St. Martha’s Regional Hospital in Antigonish. There are no new cases related to the outbreaks at the Halifax Infirmary and Dartmouth General Hospital. As of Wednesday, there are an estimated 5,053 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia, with 24 people in hospital, including three in ICU. Premier Tim Houston and Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, will provide a COVID-19 update today at 2 p.m. The update will be livestreamed at: https://novascotia.ca/stayinformed/webcast/
Gas down slightly, diesel up in N.B.

Gas is down a bit, but diesel is up today in New Brunswick. Gas dropped eight-tenths of a cent from last week. Diesel is up four cents per litre. Nova Scotia sets its fuel prices at midnight tonight.
CPP contributions to go up by more than originally planned on January 1st

January 1st is going to feel like Groundhog Day for all those paying into the Canada Pension Plan. Like last year, contributions are going up again by more than originally planned, and the reason again lies with the unique impacts of the pandemic on the labour market. The increase is part of a multi-year plan approved by provinces and the federal government five years ago to boost retirement benefits through the public plan by increasing contributions over time. The increases started in 2019. The pension plan requires contributions to go up alongside the upper limit on earnings that are subject to those premiums. The reason is due to the pandemic’s lingering effects on the labour market. Federal Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole had called on the government to push off this year’s bump, saying it wasn’t the right time for another premium increase with inflation driving up the cost of living for consumers, and many small businesses. (The Canadian Press)
Nova Scotia sees another record-setting year for immigration

The province says Nova Scotia welcomed 6,169 permanent residents as of October 31st this year. That number is on track to beat the previous record for immigration to the province of 7,580 in 2019. Minister of Labour, Skills and Immigration Jill Balser says, “Newcomers fuel our economy, create new businesses and jobs, fill labour gaps and add to the diversity and culture in our communities.” Nova Scotia is aiming to double its population to two million by 2060 with a goal to attract 25,000 newcomers per year through a combination of migration from other parts of Canada and strategic immigration efforts.








