Today is International Women’s Day and throughout the day The Breeze will be saluting the women of music, with back-to-back female artists. We’ll also recognize local women who have made a positive impact in our community and beyond. Meanwhile, the Pictou County Women’s Resource and Sexual Assault Centre will be hosting a Women’s Day virtual celebration on their Facebook page.
Fuel prices jump as UARB invokes interrupter again

Fuel prices continue to skyrocket. There was another unscheduled adjustment overnight with gas prices increasing 10.9 cents per litre to 187.3 cents per litre for regular self serve gas locally, and diesel prices going up 9.5 cents per litre to 200.8 cents per litre in the local area.
First Mounties to respond to N.S. mass shooting willing to testify at inquiry

The first three Mounties to respond to the 2020 Nova Scotia mass shooting told a public inquiry last year they’d be willing to testify, though lawyers for the RCMP have recently resisted having them take the stand. Const. Stuart Beselt was asked at the end of a 90-minute interview on July 22, 2021, with inquiry lawyer Roger Burrill if he would consider appearing, and he responded: “I’ll testify.” Const. Aaron Patton, in an interview on Aug. 5, 2021, told Burrill, “I’m willing to participate in any way that’s needed.” A day later, Const. Adam Merchant responded, “I could,” when asked if he’d testify at the hearings if subpoenaed. The transcripts of the interviews were among source documents released by the inquiry over the past week. The issue of whether front-line Mounties will be called to a witness stand has been the focus of recent public hearings into the April 18th and 19th, 2020 killings of 22 people. Lawyers for the victims’ families have asked the commission to let them question the officers, while the lawyers for the police union and the RCMP have cited the inquiry’s mandate not to re-traumatize witnesses as a reason not to have them appear. (The Canadian Press)
N.S. Premier announces new recruitment program and incentives to attract more doctors

Premier Tim Houston launched a recruitment campaign on Monday to bring more doctors home to Nova Scotia. Doctors who go to the Come Home to Nova Scotia website and say they want to work in the province will be contacted by a recruitment specialist within 24 hours. Those who qualify could receive a conditional offer of employment within 10 business days. As well, the government is increasing the budget for physician incentives by nearly $10 million.
RCMP charge two with firearms offences after Three Brooks break-in

An update in the Pictou County District RCMP investigation into the break-in at a home on Three Brook Rd. in Three Brooks in which ten firearms were stolen. Police say two men have been charged with firearms offences. Police had identified a suspect vehicle in the case, and after a failed stop at a checkpoint, were able to locate the vehicle at a home in Hedgeville. Police arrested a man walking from the vehicle towards the home, and eventually arrested three other people when they exited the home after negotiations with police. A 26-year old Moncton man and 32-year old River John man are facing numerous firearms and weapons charges. The other two people that were arrested were later released without charges.
Nova Scotia Co-operative Council converting Tara Inn in New Glasgow to affordable housing

On Monday, the Nova Scotia Co-operative Council acquired the Tara Inn in New Glasgow and will be converting it to 36 affordable housing units. The facility will be named “Coady’s Place” – after Father Moses Coady. He’s credited as the founder of Nova Scotia’s co-operative sector and was part of the Antigonish Movement, a group of priests and academics out of St. FX University.
Second Advance Poll in Westville’s Special Election being held today

The second Advance Poll in Westville’s Special Election to fill a vacant seat on Westville Town Council will be held today from noon until 8pm. Election Day is set for this Saturday from 8am until 7pm. The Candidates are: Bernie Murphy, Jeff Fulton and Tim Clark. Voting will take place at Westville Town Gym and Government ID’s are required. The seat became vacant following the passing of councillor Betty Jean Sutherland in December of last year.
N.S. provincial parks open for booking April 5th

Photo credit: novascotia.goingtocamp.com
Camping enthusiasts can make reservations at Nova Scotia’s provincial parks starting April 5th. The province says most day-use and camping parks are scheduled to open Victoria Day weekend in May, with others opening in June. With anticipated high demand on the reservation system, bookings at the province’s 20 campgrounds will open over three days — April 5th through April 7th. A schedule of which campgrounds open their campsite bookings each day is posted on the Nova Scotia provincial parks website.
Local sports note:
The game scheduled for tonight between the Pictou County Weeks Crushers and the Yarmouth Mariners at Mariners Centre has been rescheduled for March 13th.








