625 N.S. health authority staff off work for COVID-19 reasons as of Tuesday

Nova Scotia now has 625 health employees off work due to COVID-19. They were either diagnosed with COVID-19 or they are awaiting results of a test. As well, some of them are off because they were exposed to a member of their household who tested positive for COVID-19. Over a third — about 273 people — are off in the central zone.
Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston says he’s not going to hit the panic button as COVID-19 case numbers rise. Houston says he’s not looking at re-imposing public health mandates. The latest update from the province put the daily average at about 600 new COVID-19 cases. But Houston says he believes Nova Scotians have the tools they need to keep themselves safe, and he doesn’t think it’s necessary for the government to put mandates in place considering the current information.
Nova Scotia Health Minister Michelle Thompson says her department will be releasing details late this week or early next week on plans for administering another COVID-19 booster dose to some Nova Scotians. Yesterday there was a recommendation from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization for the rapid deployment of a second booster dose for people aged 80 or older and those living in congregate settings and long-term care homes.
The Nova Scotia legislature has decided to move to a hybrid model for the rest of the spring sitting due to a COVID-19 outbreak that had reportedly sidelined as many as six people as of late last week. The changes give MLA’s the option of participating via video link but do not limit the number of members who can attend in person. The move comes nearly two weeks after the House of Assembly convened for its spring sitting on March 24th. Government house leader Kim Masland told the legislature Tuesday that a quorum for in-person proceedings will constitute 15 members, including the Speaker.
Ukrainian President says Russian military not letting humanitarian aid into Mariupol

Photo credit: Ukrainian Presidential Press Office via AP
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy says the Russian military is not letting humanitarian aid enter the city of Mariupol because they are trying to clean up any evidence of atrocities on civilians. Zelenskyy made the comments on Turkish T-V following the discovery of bodies of civilians in towns around Kyiv that were recaptured from Russian forces. Earlier, Zelenskyy spoke to U-N Security Council, calling for those responsible to immediately be brought up on war crimes charges in front of a tribunal like the one established at Nuremberg after the Second World War.
High Crest Solutions contracted to manage operations at Glen Haven

It’s been announced that Highcrest Solutions Inc. will manage the operations of the Glen Haven Manor long term care home in New Glasgow. Highcrest Solutions operates five other provincially licensed and regulated facilities in Nova Scotia. Highcrest Solutions says there will be no change in the organizational structure of Glen Haven Manor and it will report to the board of directors
Two new members added to Pictou County Regional Enterprise Network business development team


Some additions for the Pictou County Regional Enterprise Network, adding a couple members to its business development team. David Hachey and Wes Surrett will lead the Pictou County Regional Enterprise Network’s business, development, innovation and succession initiatives.
Amendments to the Motor Vehicle Act will allow for electric kick scooters (e-scooters) to be operated on municipal roads. Changes introduced Tuesday set the minimum age, maximum speed and other requirements in legislation. The proposed amendments include a minimum age of 14 to use e-scooters, a maximum permitted speed of 32 km/h, helmet requirements and other operation restrictions. Municipalities will have the discretion to set a lower speed limit, as well as decide if e-scooters will be permitted on roads, sidewalks or shared sidewalks.








