The public inquiry into the mass shooting in Nova Scotia is scheduled to resume today with a series of small group sessions.
One of the sessions will hear from paramedics while another will hear from civilians employed at the R-C-M-P’s Operational Communications Centre during the mass shooting on April 18th and 19th 2020.
A gunman driving a replica police vehicle killed 22 people over a thirteen hour period on those dates.
The inquiry has heard about numerous miscues and delays in police handling of the rampage, and in the methods used to inform the public of the danger.
Nova Scotia R-C-M-P said Friday that police equipment has been removed from a decommissioned police vehicle in Annapolis County under new legislation enacted following the mass shooting.
The Mounties say they received a complaint on May 27th about the vehicle being driven by a civilian that had a police push bar attached to the front and “police interceptor” markings on the back.
They say the owner was served notice that those items were prohibited under the Nova Scotia Police Identity Management Act and he would be charged if they weren’t removed.
Police say the man turned over the push bar and police interceptor badge to the R-C-M-P detachment in Bridgewater last weekend and the items will be destroyed.
This week, Nova Scotia Health’s COVID-19 vaccine outreach clinics will be offering drop-in vaccines across the province.
Clinic locations include:
Scotsburn Fire Hall (Pfizer – anyone age 5+)
4179 Scotsburn Rd., Scotsburn
Tuesday, June 14 from 1 – 4 p.m.
Tatamagouche Fire Hall (Pfizer – anyone age 5+)
202 Main St., Tatamagouche
Wednesday, June 15 from 1 – 4 p.m.
Nova Scotia’s provincial courts are lifting some of its remaining COVID-19 public health restrictions, though masks will remain mandatory in public court spaces.
The Nova Scotia Courts announced Friday that on Wednesday capacity limits will be lifted.
In the courtroom, it will be up to the presiding judge if mask-wearing is required.
Sheriffs will also no longer screen courthouse visitors to ensure their presence is required at court, which they have been doing to limit the amount of visitors since the pandemic began.
Nova Scotia’s Liberal party says the province’s existing down payment assistance program isn’t helping enough people.
The party says the program is too limited.
It offers some financial support to first-time home buyers purchasing properties worth 300-thousand dollars or less in the Halifax region, and 200-thousand dollars or less elsewhere in the province.
A Liberal party statement says the average home price in the Halifax region is higher than the program’s eligibility threshold at 452-thousand dollars — and the program has approved only 12 applicants so far this year.








