All Nova Scotians aged 50 and older will soon be able to access second COVID-19 boosters.
Currently, only those 70 years old and up are able to book appointments for a fourth dose of the vaccine, a policy that is in line with recommendations from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization.
Beginning next week, people aged 50 to 69 will be able to book a second booster, though public health recommends people wait until the fall before getting one.
Deputy chief medical officer of health Dr. Shelley Deeks said yesterday that while the choice is up to the individual, she suggests people wait because the first booster still offers strong protection.
The widow of a man who died while waiting for a delayed surgery says Nova Scotia’s health system is broken.
Mark Clarke died at age 66 in February, the day before he was supposed to have cardiac surgery that had been delayed due to a lack of intensive care beds.
The senior director of Nova Scotia’s surgical services network says he anticipated that the pandemic’s strain on surgeries could have tragic results.
Dr. Gregory Hirsch says the biggest challenge to getting surgeries done on time are a lack of hospital beds and medical support staff.
The public inquiry into the Nova Scotia mass shooting is back in session today with a roundtable discussion on what support families need after these tragedies.
The panel will also look at the needs of communities in the aftermath of mass shootings.
Some of the seven members of the panel will also talk about existing models for supporting grief and promoting healing.
Twenty two people were killed by a gunman driving a replica R-C-M-P vehicle on April 19th and 20th, 2020.
The Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission is giving the provincial government until July 11th to decide whether it will try to exempt itself from a ruling by the province’s top court on housing for people with disabilities.
A hearing had been scheduled to begin yesterday (Monday) after the provincial court of appeal ruled last year that the province was violating the basic human rights of people with disabilities by failing to offer them “meaningful” access to housing.
Under Nova Scotia’s Human Rights Act, the province can exempt itself from that decision if it can prove the discrimination is justified in a free and democratic society.
A provincial government lawyer told the commission’s board of inquiry on Monday that the province would be willing to forgo that option if it’s assured it will be allowed to offer housing and services to people with disabilities in a “pragmatic” way.
Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston is expressing sadness at the deaths of two former MLAs and cabinet ministers.
John Leefe died on June 25th at the age of 80.
Leefe was first elected as a Progressive Conservative M-L-A for Queens in 1978 and held several cabinet posts, including fisheries, the environment and natural resources before his retirement in 1999.
Dr. Charles “Chuck” MacNeil passed away on June 18.
Dr. MacNeil was a family doctor who began his public service as a municipal councillor for the Municipality of the District of St. Mary’s.
He was elected as the MLA for Guysborough in 1984 and was re-elected in 1988.
Dr. MacNeil served as Minister of Lands and Forests, Minister of Mines and Energy and Minister of Finance.








