Gas and diesel prices both went up in Nova Scotia overnight.
Gas prices rose by 5.2 cents per litre, meaning the minimum pump price for regular self-serve gasoline is now 177.5 cents per litre locally.
Diesel prices increased by 1.5 cents per litre to 227.4 cents per litre in the local area.
On Thursday, the province reported 16 COVID-19 related deaths during a seven-day period that ended this past Monday.
Health officials also reported that 115 patients in Nova Scotia contracted COVID-19 after their admission to hospital, which is more than double the 48 that were reported last week.
There are currently 309 people in hospital with COVID-19, which is up from 196 patients the previous week.
Nova Scotia Health says there were 128 employees off work Thursday due to being diagnosed with COVID-19, awaiting test results or being a household contact of a positive case.
919 new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed by PCR tests for that same 7-day time period, with a daily average of 131.
MLAs Pat Dunn and Karla MacFarlane say area residents impacted by Hurricane Fiona can expect more financial support because of a provincial investment.
The Canadian Red Cross will receive $1.39 million to cover hotel costs for people displaced by the storm, and the United Way of Pictou County will receive $200,000 to help people with housing repairs.
They say the assistance is in addition to a recent $100,000 investment made to the same organization.
Members of the Nova Scotia legislature are sitting shorter hours after a deal to scale back the length of daily sittings was reached between the government and opposition parties.
In exchange, the opposition has agreed to reduce their procedural delay tactics.
The marathon hours began last week when government house leader Kim Masland called for sittings until midnight on most days.
In response, the Liberals in particular, had used tactics aimed at impeding the passage of new government bills.
The commission examining the federal government’s use of the Emergencies Act in February has heard that R-C-M-P Commissioner Brenda Lucki lost trust in the abilities of Ottawa police to clear convoy protesters.
New documents show Lucki was prepared to take her concerns directly to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
They show Lucki and top Ontario Provincial Police officials had talked about the O-P-P taking over the response to the protests because they felt progress wasn’t being made by Ottawa police.
Lucki said she felt the reputation of policing was at stake.
The Pictou County Weeks Crushers lost 6-5 to the Campbellton Tigers last night in Maritime Junior Hockey League action.








