The Premier is dismissing a Liberal call for an emergency debate in the legislature on overcrowding and staff shortages in Nova Scotia hospital E-Rs as political grandstanding.
Liberal Leader Zach Churchill issued a statement Friday saying Houston has used emergency debates to deal with less-important issues, including pay raises for legislators and electricity rates.
In an email, Premier Tim Houston says he’s disappointed Churchill seems more interested in playing political games than offering constructive ideas to address health care.
Houston says his government’s focus is on delivering improvements and to provide assurances to Nova Scotians that they can count on the health care system “when and where they need it.”
The staffing situation at the Halifax Infirmary emergency department is being described as a “revolving door of inexperienced employees” by its union for health workers and nurses.
The characterization is contained in a letter sent last week by Nova Scotia Government and General Employees Union president Sandra Mullen to the C-E-O of Nova Scotia’s health authority Karen Oldfield.
Mullen says staff initially drawn to the department by a recruitment bonus quickly leave when they realize they could be risking their license because patient loads don’t allow them to meet their standards of practice.
She says staff are “desperate” for changes and she forwarded a list of 59 suggestions to address areas including E-R staffing levels, recruitment and retention, security and morale.
Nova Scotia Health’s COVID-19 vaccine outreach clinics will be offering drop-in vaccines this week in all zones. Locations include:
Truro Library (ages 5+)
754 Prince St., Truro
Tuesday, Jan. 17 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Offering eligible doses by age range
Flu vaccine will also be available
Eureka and District Fire Hall (ages 5+)
5222 Stellarton Trafalgar Rd., Eureka
Wednesday, Jan. 18 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Offering eligible doses by age range
Flu vaccine will also be available
A court hearing is to begin today into an application to have a Nova Scotia man declared a dangerous offender.
Brian James Marriott is alleged to have been the ringleader in the brutal beating of a fellow inmate at the Central Nova Scotia Correctional Facility in Dartmouth in 2019.
A judge has previously noted that Marriott has a long record of violent crimes, dating back at least 20 years.
The Crown says it needs to meet a series of tests under the Criminal Code, including showing the offender poses a threat to the lives and safety of others and has repeatedly shown himself unable to restrain his violent behaviour.








