The Snowfall Warning is continued this morning for Pictou County.
Heavy snow should end this morning as another 5 to 10cm is possible.
Those winds will be gusting to 50kh at times.
High of -2.
Gasoline and diesel prices both rose overnight in Nova Scotia.
The price of gasoline increased by 2.9 cents per litre, putting the minimum pump price for regular self-serve gas at 150.5 cents per litre locally.
Diesel prices increased by 4.2 cents per litre, putting the minimum pump price for diesel at 173.8 cents per litre in the local area.
Nova Scotia’s Health Minister says she and the head of the province’s health authority had discussions with more than one-thousand residents during a recent health-care tour.
Michelle Thompson says Nova Scotians brought important concerns and questions about the state of the province’s health-care system to the sessions.
There were 20 health-care discussion sessions over the tour, and Thompson says she learned a lot from these conversations.
Nova Scotia’s New Democratic Party is calling on the provincial government to follow B-C’s lead and make prescription birth control free to all residents.
N-D-P Leader Claudia Chender says the party introduced a private member’s bill last year that would also provide free prescription contraception to Nova Scotia residents.
Chender says the announcement in the B-C budget that it will become the first province in Canada to actually provide that coverage starting April 1st shows it is also possible in Nova Scotia.
Health Minister Michelle Thompson is refusing to commit to the move — saying only that the Department of Health continually reviews prescription benefits.
The New Brunswick Court of Appeal says a ruling by the country’s highest court left it with no choice but to reduce the sentence of the man who fatally shot three Mounties in Moncton in 2014.
In a ruling released Thursday, the appeal court cut his parole ineligibility period to 25 years from the record-setting 75 years imposed by a lower court judge after the triple slaying.
It said it was bound by a Supreme Court ruling that struck down a federal law allowing judges to extend parole ineligibility periods beyond 25 years for people convicted of multiple murders.
Nova Scotia has so far welcomed 113 asylum seekers from Turkey, Haiti, Pakistan and other countries who entered Canada from the U-S at an irregular border crossing in Quebec.
Immigration Minister Jill Balser says the province is working closely with the federal government on accommodations, settlement needs and work permits for the asylum seekers.
She says the asylum seekers are currently staying in hotels and Ottawa will pick up the tab for their accommodation for up to 60 days.
Balser says she plans to work with community organizations who will support people in finding longer term housing.
In the Maritime Junior Hockey League, the Pictou County Weeks Crushers beat the Truro Bearcats 9-2.








