An interpretive centre that tells the story of the ship Hector — which arrived in Pictou Harbour in 1773 — is receiving an upgrade.
The ship carried 189 passengers and was one of the earliest arrivals of Scottish settlers to Canada.
The Ship Hector Society is receiving 2.1 million dollars from the province to upgrade the Interpretive Centre and update the exhibits.
September 2023 will mark the 250th anniversary of the Hector’s arrival in Nova Scotia.
As part of Emergency Preparedness Week, there will be a test of the emergency alert system on TV, radio and cell phones at 1:55 pm on Wednesday.
You should hear a loud alarm on those devices, and see or hear text indicating it’s a test of the emergency alert system.
Nova Scotia R-C-M-P say they’ve charged a third person in the 2021 homicide of 30-year-old Andrew Carter Morris.
They say 23-year-old Anthanasius (Tannas) Dennis was arrested last week on Eskasoni First Nation and charged with first-degree murder.
Kurth Daniel Gould and Scentina Marie Michael, both of Eskasoni First Nation, were previously charged with first-degree murder and armed robbery in Morris’ death.
Police say they expect no further arrests in connection with the case.
Nova Scotians now have a new, easy way to access workplace safety information online.
Nova SAFE is a site that provides employers, supervisors and workers access to safety information and regulatory requirements on any device.
The site includes information on topics such as fall protection, personal protective equipment and fire extinguishers.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government will work with the Red Cross to set up a matching fund to help Albertans affected by wildfires.
He says the federal government will be offering support to the province, but he is not revealing details.
Out-of-control blazes have forced about 29-thousand people to flee several communities in the province.
The Little Red River Cree Nation in northern Alberta has lost more than 40 structures, mostly homes.
A heads up for all grade 5 & 6 students that Pictou County FC is looking for players to fill their competitive teams this season.
The season will run from Wednesday, May 17th until Saturday, August 26th, and is open for players with birth years 2011-2012.
The club also has programs for players born from 2013-2020.
A kick-off rally will be held at AG Baillie School this coming Saturday from 11am-12pm, and anyone wishing to register in person is welcome to attend.
You can check out program details at pictoucountysoccer.com.








