Pictou County Integrated Street Crime Enforcement Unit has charged two people with drug and weapon offences after a search was conducted at a home in Stellarton. On March 20, police searched a home on St. Bernard St. At the home, police arrested a woman and then located and seized methamphetamine, hydromorphone, prescribed medications, baggies, cellular phones, forged documents, firearms and ammunitions. Shortly before the search, a man was arrested during a targeted traffic stop and police located and seized cash, a scale, and a cellular phone. A 29-year old man from Stellarton and a 24- year old woman from Stellarton are facing drug, weapon and firearms charges.
A Nova Scotia judge has approved a process aimed at finding buyers or investors willing to bid on SaltWire Network and The Halifax Herald. Earlier this month, Nova Scotia Supreme Court Justice John Keith granted the insolvent companies protection from creditors who are owed about 90 million dollars. Yesterday, Keith approved a so-called sales and investment solicitation process, which involves canvassing the market for people willing to buy or invest in some or all of the deeply indebted companies’ business operations and assets. The outcome could include a restructuring, recapitalization or some form of reorganization of the companies aimed at ensuring they continue as viable businesses, as outlined under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act. Saltwire owns a number of newspapers in the region, including The News in New Glasgow.
The Town of New Glasgow is accepting expressions of interest from Ward 2 (North End) citizens to join the Community Climate Change Committee. The link for submitting applications is available on the Town of New Glasgow Facebook page. As a citizen representative, you would participate in monthly committee meetings; share your knowledge and ideas; and learn about the progress that the Town is making regarding sustainability and environment.
The Canadian Dental Association says it has been surveying dentists and found 61 per cent weren’t planning to sign up for the federal government’s dental care program.
Health Minister Mark Holland is currently on a Canada-wide tour to sell Canadian dentists and hygienists on the new federal dental care plan, with concerns mounting about what the government plans to pay providers for their services.
The C-D-A says dental and hygienist associations have raised concerns about the “terms and conditions,” including administrative burdens on staff and the fact that oral-health providers need to sign on to the program to provide care.
A sports note, the Pictou County Weeks Crushers look to keep their season alive tonight as they host Game 6 of their South Division semifinal at 7:00pm at the Pictou County Wellness Centre against the Amherst Ramblers. The Ramblers lead the series 3-2.








