Former Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc has been sworn in as the finance minister following Chrysita Freeland’s surprise resignation from her post Monday morning. Freeland also stepped down as deputy prime minister, saying she and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau found themselves at odds for weeks about “the best path forward for Canada.” The resignation has reignited calls for Trudeau to step down and call an election as Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says Trudeau has lost control of the government and repeated calls for an election.
.
.
Federal Housing Minister and Central Nova MP Sean Fraser says he will not be running in the next federal election, citing a need to spend more time with his family. Fraser made the announcement yesterday in Ottawa ahead of a cabinet meeting. Fraser says he came to the decision months ago, while recovering from a back surgery operation and was spending more time with his kids at home. He was first elected in 2015 and quickly rose through the ranks of cabinet.
Canada’s premiers say they will remain united as “Team Canada” in the face of a tariff threat from the United States. Premier Tim Houston and the heads of the other 12 provinces and territories met to discuss trade and tariffs ahead of Donald Trump being sworn in next month. Ontario Premier Doug Ford says they need to take on a bigger role as tariffs would affect them all. Ford says the premiers are planning a mission to Washington, D-C, in February to engage with the Trump administration.
Elections Nova Scotia has released a report on spending totals for last May’s provincial byelection in Pictou West, which was won by the Progressive Conservatives.
According to the agency, the N-D-P outspent the Tories by about two-thousand dollars in its failed attempt to win the riding – just over 54-thousand dollars compared with just over 52-thousand dollars.
Tory Marco MacLeod easily won the riding, which had been formerly held by former party interim leader and legislature speaker Karla MacFarlane.
MacLeod retained the seat in last month’s provincial election.
The Aberdeen Health Foundation recently approved $1.5 million in new funding commitments, raising this year’s total to over $2.6 million. It marks a record-breaking milestone for annual funding commitments, surpassing 2014—the year the Foundation made a significant $1.5 million investment in the redevelopment of the Emergency Department. Among the projects approved, there’s a new Palliative Care In-Home Volunteer Program and a Transportation Support Program that officials say has already transformed how patients access care.








