After a weekend of renewed searching for Lilly and Jack Sullivan in Lansdowne Station, premier Tim Houston says the siblings’ disappearance is “weighing heavy” on the minds of people in Pictou County. Six-year-old Lilly Sullivan and four-year-old Jack Sullivan were reported missing more than two weeks ago. Houston told reporters Tuesday that this has been devastating, and that he’s confident that authorities are conducting a professional and thorough search, but this has been weighing heavy on the minds of people across Pictou County, and well beyond.
Halifax Regional Police are turning to the public for help after two Halifax universities received threats on Tuesday.
Police closed streets near Saint Mary’s University after responding to a bomb threat reported by security staff early Tuesday afternoon, But a sweep of the south-end campus found no bombs or other suspicious materials.
Police helped with an evacuation on campus, including SMU residence buildings.
By 2:55 p.m., police said the area had reopened after it was determined there was no threat to the public.
Earlier in the day, Dalhousie University sent an alert to students that at least two offices at its Halifax cam pus had been sent “threatening spam emails” in the morning.
Anyone with information on threats to either or both universities can contact police at 902-490-5020 or Nova Scotia Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
Some municipal leaders say they were caught off guard after the province announced plans for Nova Scotia’s first uranium exploration in nearly 45 years. The government issued a call for proposals to explore three areas — near Louisville in Pictou County, East Dalhousie in Annapolis County, and Millet Brook in Hants County. Pictou County Warden Robert Parker said he’s just starting to gather information, noting the need for strong environmental protections but also acknowledging potential economic benefits. In March, Tim Houston’s government passed legislation that will permit uranium exploration for the first time since a moratorium was introduced in 1981 and a full ban was implemented in 2009. The government has pushed for more exploitation of natural resources to shore up the provincial economy, especially when faced with challenges from U.S. tariffs.
The Nova Scotia government argued in court yesterday that Ottawa is responsible for infrastructure that protects the strip of land that links the province with New Brunswick.
The province said the federal government should pay the entire cost of upgrading the centuries-old dikes that protect the Chignecto Isthmus from flooding, a project expected to cost $650 million.
Ottawa has agreed to pay only half the bill because the dikes have been used to protect farmland, which means they are covered by a section of the Constitution that says agriculture is a responsibility shared by both levels of government.
A provincial government lawyer told Nova Scotia’s Court of Appeal today that the extensive network of dikes now protect a Canadian National Railway line, the Trans-Canada Highway, buried fibre optic cables and electricity lines, which means the dikes now protect interprovincial trade and communications links, which fall under sole federal jurisdiction.
They say the federal government has an obligation to protect those links, which are increasingly threatened by flooding caused by more fierce and frequent storms and rising sea levels in the province.
Nova Scotians aged 65 and older can now book an appointment for their free shingles vaccine.
The first appointments will be May 28. Nova Scotians who are eligible can reserve their spot by calling their primary health care provider or online by using the province’s vaccine booking portal.
The vaccine normally costs about $400 but will be free for seniors starting May 28.
The province says the vaccine is called Shingrix and prevents shingles complications, which can ease pressure on emergency departments, primary care and the overall health system.
In Sports,
The New Senior Hockey team that was announced in Pictou as a part of the Nova Scotia Hockey league has announced their team name. The Pictou County Pipers will be one of the inaugural teams in the Nova Scotia Hockey League, and their home base will be the Hector Arena in Pictou.








