The Heat warning is continued for today with Environment Canada forecasting a high of 31 today with the Humidex at 40. The agency says a hot and humid airmass will persist today and tonight, but some relief is expected on Friday as a trough of low pressure gives cloud and showers.
–
–
Stellarton is now in stage one of the Town’s water contingency plan – Voluntary Water Reductions.
Residents are requested to refrain from sprinkling, watering or irrigating shrubbery, trees, lawns, grass, plants, vegetables, or flowers; filling or topping of pools; and washing vehicles.
Any watering should be done between sunset and sunrise, for short durations.
The voluntary conservation order will remain in place until the water levels of the East River return to normal.
An update Wednesday from the RCMP regarding the investigation into the disappearance of Lilly and Jack Sullivan. The two children went missing from their home on Gairloch Road in Lansdowne Station, Pictou County on May 2nd. The investigation has seen police review approximately 5,000 video files; assess more than 600 tips from the public; formally interview more than 60 people; and forensic examination of materials located through ground and air searches in Lansdowne Station, including a pink blanket that officers seized.
Municipal police chiefs in Nova Scotia are questioning the provincial government’s plan to expand the services of the R-C-M-P as part of a push to restructure and modernize policing in the province. Chief Ryan Leil of the New Glasgow Regional Police says the existing model is working for the 10 municipalities in the province that have their own police force. A report by Deloitte released last month examined the structure of policing in Nova Scotia and recommended that a provincial force be created to better serve the public. However, the provincial government has opted to expand the R-C-M-P’s coverage as the provincial police force instead of creating a service similar to the provincial forces in Ontario and Quebec.
The Province says it will provide more funding to support families of missing and murdered Indigenous people. The government announced it will spend 2.2-million-dollars over the next five years to fund several services through provincial Victim Services. Justice Minister Becky Druhan says the funding will provide supports that will help families access justice and move toward healing. The government says the money represents an increase of almost 800-thousand dollars from the previous five-year-agreement.








