Rapid test kits to be made available at public libraries across N.S.

The province says starting today, Nova Scotians will be able to pick up free COVID-19 rapid test kits at all public libraries during the holiday season. Dr. Strang said in a news release this morning, that the availability of home rapid tests gives people another option to help make Christmas gatherings safer in the time of COVID-19. There will be 400,000 tests made available at library sites across the province. They come in packs of five and there’s a limit of one kit per person. Eric Stackhouse, Chief Librarian for Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library says they are expecting the kits to arrive soon for distribution at branches in the local area. The at-home tests are recommended for those aged three and up. Anyone with a positive rapid test should self-isolate and book a PCR test at a testing site to confirm the result. Rapid test kits are also available from pop-up sites and mobile units, and continue to be distributed to children through schools and child cares. Incoming travellers can also pick up tests when they arrive at the airport. Locations and details are available at https://www.nshealth.ca/coronavirustesting
Province reports 129 new COVID-19 cases Saturday, 111 new cases Sunday – most related to the outbreak at St. FX

Photo credit: The Canadian Press
Nova Scotia reported 240 new cases of COVID-19 over the weekend – 129 new COVID-19 cases were reported on Saturday, with an additional 111 new cases reported in the province on Sunday. Officials say Saturday’s cases include 64 in the Central Zone, 52 in the Eastern Zone, 10 in the Northern Zone and three in the Western Zone. On Sunday, 63 new cases were reported in the Central Zone, along with 42 in the Eastern Zone, five in the Northern Zone and one case in the Western Zone. Public Health has indicated that most of the cases confirmed on the weekend were related to the outbreak at St. FX in Antigonish. The public health agency says those infected are experiencing mild symptoms. The agency says most of the cases involve young people who are fully vaccinated. Premier Tim Houston, Health and Wellness Minister Michelle Thompson, and Dr. Robert Strang, Nova Scotia’s Chief Medical Officer of Health will provide a COVID-19 update today at 3 p.m. The update will be livestreamed on https://novascotia.ca/stayinformed/webcast
Students at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish are taking their exams on-line, at home or having them postponed due to a COVID outbreak. Many of the COVID-19 cases reported on the weekend in Nova Scotia are thought to be linked to events that took place at the university. The administration instructed faculty members to change to an alternate delivery format, whether online or take-home, where possible. University officials say that for those courses where such a change is impractical, faculty members will need to defer the in-person exam until January.
Nova Scotia Health Public Health is advising of updates to a previously issued notification plus a new potential exposure to COVID-19 at a location in Eastern Zone. There are also corrections previously issued notifications. All potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures
Public Health has sent its mobile COVID-19 testing unit to Antigonish. It will be at the university’s Keating Centre at 1100 Convocation Blvd. during the following dates and times:
- Monday, Dec. 13 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 14 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Maritime Junior Hockey League announced on the weekend there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 involving a player on the Pictou County Weeks Crushers. A player received a positive rapid test result Friday following a negative PCR test on Wednesday, during the team’s protocol of regular testing. The player took a second rapid test, which also came back positive. The entire team was to undergo PCR testing as a result. The Crushers are following the guidelines set out in the League’s Return to Play plan, which was developed and approved by all three provincial governments in the Maritimes, and will work with Public Health as required. As a precaution, the game on Saturday between the Amherst Ramblers and the Crushers at the Pictou County Wellness Centre was postponed.
Bible Hill man facing drug charges after traffic stop in Valley last Thursday

RCMP Northwest Traffic Services has arrested a man for drug offences following a traffic stop on Pictou Rd. in Valley. Initially, police spotted a vehicle travelling on Pictou Rd. with no daytime running lights and the license plate on the vehicle was not visible. During a traffic stop on the vehicle, Police noticed the smell of cannabis coming from the vehicle. The driver, a 26-year-old Bible Hill man, was arrested without incident under the Cannabis Control Act and a search of the vehicle saw police locate a large bag containing a significant amount of cannabis and pills. Police also located a significant amount of cash. The man was later released on conditions and will be facing a charge of Possession of Cannabis for the Purpose of Distribution.
Medical emergency at Northeast Nova Scotia Correctional Facility in New Glasgow Friday

Photo credit: novascotia.ca
A 41-year-old man was found unresponsive in his cell at the Northeast Nova Scotia Correctional Facility in New Glasgow at 2:00pm on Friday. Staff immediately began emergency response procedures. Emergency Health Services, local firefighters and RCMP responded. The man was taken to hospital, where he remains. RCMP are investigating and the the Department of Justice will conduct a full review of the incident.
Justin Trudeau to hold child-care announcement with N.B. Premier Blaine Higgs

Photo: New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs (The Canadian Press)
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is set to make an announcement on child care this morning with New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs. The federal Liberals announced this spring that they would spend $30 billion over five years to cut child-care fees to an average of $10 per day across the country, as a cornerstone in an initiative to help families and get the economy moving. The plan requires that the provinces and territories sign on, and New Brunswick, Ontario, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories are the only holdouts. Jason Kenney was the most recent premier to ink a deal with Trudeau. That bilateral agreement will see Ottawa provide $3.8 billion in funding for Alberta over the next five years. Child-care fees are to be halved starting next year and reduced to an average of $10 a day by 2026 in the Prairie province. (The Canadian Press)
Local Sports:
The Fundy Highland U15AA Stars picked up 4 more points this past weekend keeping them in sole possession of the top of their league after a 1-0 victory over the Metro West Force Blades on Saturday and a 6-1 win over the Valley Wild on Sunday. Kenli Ross had the shut out on Saturday; the loan goal was scored by Meika Martin with assists by Karlee Rose and Ada White. On Sunday, White opened the scoring with an assist from Acelyn Potter. The game winning goal was scored by Abella Purdy with an assist from Raylee Hendsbee.








