There’s power outages this morning affecting a number of communities across the province-including Pictou County where several outages have knocked out power for around 1600 customers. There’s outages in Durham, Thorburn, and their surrounding areas. NSP says power should be back on in the noon hour. As a result of today’s power outages, students at West Pictou Consolidated School are being dismissed early today (Dec 14). The Chignecto-Central Regional Centre for Education says buses will be leaving the school at 11:45 a.m.
**Updated 12pm**Outages from this morning for the most part have been restored, there are still a few scattered outages in the local area (around 100 customers without power).
**Northumberland Ferries have cancelled all sailings from Wood Islands, PEI and Caribou, NS. today (Tuesday, Dec. 14).
N.S. reports first Omicron cases, imposes new COVID-19 restrictions across province

Nova Scotia health officials reported 114 new cases of COVID-19 Monday and confirmed the first cases of the Omicron variant in the province — most of which were linked to a recent outbreak at St. Francis Xavier University. The presence of the Omicron mutation has pushed officials to reduce limits on indoor gatherings and impose a range of other health orders. The recent outbreak tied to a Dec. 3 graduation ceremony at the Antigonish university las led to four consecutive days of new cases reaching triple digits, Dr. Robert Strang, the province’s chief medical officer of health, told reporters. Strang said “Nova Scotians should expect to continue to see high daily case numbers, and cases will go up before they go down.” He said the National Microbiology Laboratory has confirmed that 40 previously reported COVID-19 infections in the province involved the Omicron variant — the majority of which have been linked to the university outbreak.
Strang also reported an outbreak at Parkland Antigonish, a seniors living community, where two residents and two staff members from the retirement home have tested positive. He said one staff member from Mary’s Court, a licensed long-term care facility in Antigonish, had also tested positive. The two outbreaks at the seniors homes coupled with eight presumptive cases identified on the weekend at Dalhousie University in Halifax are also linked to the St. FX ceremony, he added.
The arrival of the Omicron variant in the province has led officials to tighten restrictions regarding indoor gatherings and physical distancing, Premier Tim Houston told reporters Monday. He said starting today and until at least the new year, restrictions would increase in schools. (The Canadian Press)
For schools, as of today:
- School sports are limited to team skills training only and there are no assemblies or holiday concerts allowed.
- Only essential visitors are permitted in schools.
- Masks are required inside and outside when physical distancing is not possible
New restrictions that go into effect on Friday, include:
- Physical distancing of two metres is required indoors and outdoors, except for those from same household
- Fitness and recreation facilities, retail stores, malls, museums, libraries and personal services can operate at the maximum capacity possible with physical distancing.
- Food and liquor-licensed establishments must have physical distancing between tables and a limit of 20 people per table. Masks can only be removed when seated for eating or drinking.
- Masks are required in areas of workplaces where physical distancing is not possible, as well as common areas, and areas where people are serving the public
- Indoor and outdoor informal gatherings are limited to 20 people from the same household or a consistent social group.
- Gatherings like regular faith services, weddings, funerals, receptions and visitations, special events, meetings, training, festivals and audiences for sports events and arts and culture events are limited to 50 per cent of capacity, with a maximum of 150 people indoors and 250 outdoors.
- Sports practices, games and regular league play are limited to 60 participants indoors and outdoors. Tournaments are not allowed.
For long-term care homes:
- There will be a limit of two visitors at a time with residents, and it does not have to be the same two people every time.
- Visitors can have a quick close contact like a hug, but then need to stay physically distanced for the rest of the visit.
- Visitors must be fully vaccinated and wear masks, except for end-of-life visits.
Nova Scotia Health has issued a number COVID-19 exposure notifications at locations in Central, Eastern, and Northern zones-including an exposure notification in the local area.
- YMCA Pictou County (2756 Westville Rd., New Glasgow) on Dec. 8 between 9:45 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. It is anticipated that anyone exposed to the virus at this location on the named date may develop symptoms up to, and including, Dec. 22.
All potential exposure notifications are listed here: http://www.nshealth.ca/covid-exposures
Nova Scotia Health’s COVID-19 vaccine outreach clinics will be offering drop-in vaccination (Pfizer) for children 5 to 11 years old in Northern Zone this week. The clinics are open to anyone age 5 to 11 for their first or second dose, locally there will be a clinic at Scotsburn Fire Hall, tomorrow – Wednesday, Dec. 15 from noon to 5 p.m.
Nova Scotia Health calling patients diagnosed with COVID-19

Nova Scotia Health is contacting Nova Scotians aged 16 and older who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 to determine if they are experiencing any persistent COVID-19 symptoms. Evidence has shown COVID-19 patients may experience symptoms long after they no longer have the virus. Nova Scotians diagnosed with COVID-19 who are aged 16 and older will be contacted by telephone, and asked screening questions. The phone call should take no longer than five minutes. Based on the responses, the person may be put in touch with Nova Scotia Health’s post-COVID-19 team. The telephone call will come from an unknown number, so Nova Scotia Health asks that you please answer the call.
Nova Scotia man arrested for allegedly forging COVID-19 proof of vaccination card

RCMP have arrested a 50-year old Barrington man for making fake COVID-19 proof of vaccination cards. Police got a complaint in mid-November about suspected fake COVID-19 proof of vaccination cards being made in Barrington. Police began investigating and on Friday they searched a home in Barrington and arrested the suspect. Police seized items related to manufacturing and forging COVID-19 proof of vaccination, along with electronic devices. The man was released on conditions and will be facing charges of Forgery and Using a Forged Document.
Crown drops assault charge against New Glasgow mayor

In Pictou provincial court on Monday, the Crown informed the court that it was no longer pursuing an assault charge against New Glasgow Mayor Nancy Dicks — and the charge has been dropped. The Crown Prosecutor said that he made the assessment that there is no reasonable or realistic prospect of conviction. The charge was the result of an investigation into an alleged incident in New Glasgow in September of 2020. (With files from CBC)
Pictou Landing First Nation members involved in potential class-action lawsuit surrounding medical research

Two medical researchers based in Halifax are facing a potential class-action lawsuit, as dozens of people connected to Pictou Landing First Nation were allegedly subjected to an Indigenous study for which they had not provided their consent. It’s alleged to have happened in 2017 as a Canada-wide Canadian Alliance for Healthy Hearts and Minds study was being conducted. It’s alleged that while MRI scans were being done as part of the Healthy Hearts and Minds Study, more scans were taken by researchers for another study without the participants’ consent. No allegations have been proven in court. (With files from Saltwire News)
Nova Scotia offering $3.5M in disaster relief for November 23 storm

Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing John Lohr, Laura MacNamara, Red Cross, and Health and Wellness Minister Michelle Thompson at Disaster Financial Assistance Announcement Monday, Dec. 13 (Communications N.S.)
The Nova Scotia government says disaster relief for losses not covered by insurance during last month’s heavy rain and windstorm is expected to total more than 10-million dollars. Applications for assistance opened Monday under the program that helps Nova Scotians, municipalities, small businesses and not-for-profit groups get back on their feet after a disaster. It covers uninsurable losses of up to 200-thousand dollars per household. The federal government is expected to reimburse the province about 3.5-million dollars.
Province to covers school milk price increase

The province is investing $2 million in the new Healthy Schools Fund and is covering the increased cost of milk for the remainder of the school year. The Healthy Schools Fund will provide each school with $5,000 and an additional $1 per student annually for programs and activities that support mental and physical health or cultural awareness. Schools will work with students, teachers and school advisory councils to determine how to best spend the funds. The provincial government says it is also absorbing the increase in School Milk Program prices for the remainder of this school year, to lessen the impact on students and families who are struggling financially. The next increase in the price for school milk will take effect in September 2022.








