Nova Scotia reports 3 COVID-19 deaths Monday, 93 in designated hospital units

On Monday, Nova Scotia reported 3 new deaths related to COVID-19. Two of those deaths are in Western Zone, and involve a woman in her 70s and a man in his 80s. The other death was that of a man in his 70s in Central Zone. 10 new hospital admissions and nine discharges were also reported in the province on Monday. There are 93 people in hospital who were admitted due to COVID-19 and are receiving specialized care in a COVID-19 designated unit. That includes 15 people in ICU. An additional 256 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 were also reported yesterday. There are an estimated 3,913 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia.
Take-home COVID-19 rapid tests to be handed out at libraries, other public sites

Take-home COVID-19 rapid tests will once again be handed out at libraries and other public sites across Nova Scotia. The province’s health authority says it’s trying to provide more access to testing to people who don’t live near designated testing sites. Rapid test distribution was restricted in Nova Scotia in December due to the spread of the Omicron variant, and some rural residents complained they had little access to the kits. Now, people can once again get a rapid test without an appointment at libraries, family resource centres, schools and pop-up testing sites. **Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library locations had tests last week, but ran out quickly. Community Services & Branch Librarian Trecia Schell, says updates will be shared to social media and the PARL website as soon as more tests arrive. (With files from the Canadian Press)
Drop-in COVID-19 vaccine clinics in Northern Zone this week

Nova Scotia Health are having more drop-in COVID-19 vaccine outreach clinics in the Northern zone this week – open to anyone aged 5 and older, and although priority will be given to those seeking their first or second dose, booster (third) doses are also available. There will be a clinic today at the Advocate Fire Hall from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and at the Upper Stewiacke Fire Hall from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Bass River Fire Hall and Lismore Community Centre will host clinics on Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and vaccines will be administered at the Economy Recreation Centre and Wallace Community Centre on Thursday between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Vaccines will also be available from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday at the Oxford Fire Hall.
Trucker protest continues in Ottawa

Crowds have thinned out considerably on Parliament Hill and the surrounding area, where anti-COVID restrictions demonstrators have been protesting for days. But those that remain say they are staying put until all the restrictions are lifted, with the president of the Ottawa Gatineau Hotel Association saying some protesters have been extending their stays at hotels, or are asking to rebook for the coming weekend. Yesterday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau insisted he will neither meet with nor be intimidated by the truck convoy of Canadians that he says spent the last few days harassing local businesses and citizens in Ottawa. But Conservative Deputy Leader Candice Bergen said Trudeau was “gaslighting” the protesters, who deserve the chance to be heard and be given some respect. She said the protesters she met with from her home province of Manitoba on Sunday are “good people, patriotic, peace-loving.” Canada Unity, the group behind the convoy, originated during the 2019 pro-pipeline convoy to Ottawa but morphed into an anti-COVID restrictions protest after the pandemic began. The vaccine mandate for truckers that took effect on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border earlier this month added more fire to the demands and helped trigger the bigger convoy that descended on Ottawa in the last week. (The Canadian Press)
N.S. shooting probe sought ‘balance’ in request for delays, families’ push to proceed

The commissioners of the Nova Scotia mass shooting inquiry have released a statement saying proceedings were delayed after some unspecified participants requested more time to prepare. The commissioners say they’ve heard the concerns of the family members of the 22 victims after public hearings initially set to begin last fall were postponed until February 22nd. They say they will “continue to balance” the views of family members and those requesting additional time — and an interim report is still expected by June 1st and a final report by December 1st. (The Canadian Press)
Virtual launch for African Heritage Month set for today

Today is the first day of African Heritage Month, and the Town of New Glasgow will be hosting an official launch and flag raising ceremony virtually beginning at 11:45 this morning – livestreaming on both their Facebook page and YouTube channel. The theme this year is “Through Our Eyes: The Voices of African Nova Scotians”. The province says that theme recognizes the legacies of people of African descent through first voice, lived realities and experiences.
Last year’s federal election costs have been tallied. Elections Canada says the vote cost 630-million dollars — about 130-million more than the 2019 election — partly due to extra costs associated with the pandemic. The agency says it overestimated the number of people who would vote by mail-in ballot. As a result, it had trouble finding staff for polling stations and alternative voting venues when many schools and community centres weren’t available.
Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole will face a vote on his leadership. The Canadian Press has confirmed that Ontario M-P Scott Reid, chair of the party’s caucus, has informed M-Ps he received written notice with signatures from at least 20 per cent of members requesting the review. The process M-Ps are following is outlined in the Reform Act, which gives a party’s caucus the ability to trigger a leadership review.
Local Sports:
There were a number of changes made Monday to the schedule ahead of this week’s restart of the Maritime Junior Hockey League regular season on Thursday. One of those changes sees the game between the Amherst Ramblers and Pictou County Weeks Crushers at the Pictou County Wellness Centre on February 27th moved to March 16th at 7 p.m. Several games remain postponed due to the extension of COVID-19 restrictions in Nova Scotia.








