Province reports 243 new COVID-19 cases, 76 patients in specialized care units

Nova Scotia reported 243 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 yesterday. Ninety-six cases were discovered in the central zone, 59 in the eastern zone, 47 in the western zone and 41 in the northern zone. Officials said a total of 76 people were in hospital in a specialized COVID-19 care unit. They also said 13 COVID-19 patients were in I-C-U.
Phase one of Nova Scotia’s gradual re-opening went into effect first thing this morning. This first of three planned phases see informal gathering limits increase to 25 people, large venues can welcome up to 3000 fans, and restaurants can increase capacity to 75 per cent with proper social distancing between tables. Mask mandates and proof of vaccination requirements will stay in place.
Nova Scotia Health’s COVID-19 vaccine outreach clinics will be offering drop-in vaccines across the province this week. The outreach vaccine clinics are focused on providing first and second doses of COVID-19 vaccine to Nova Scotians who are not yet fully vaccinated. Booster doses are available at some drop-in vaccine clinics. Locations include: Pugwash Fire Hall (Pfizer – anyone age 5+) Monday, Feb. 14 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. and Tatamagouche Fire Hall (Pfizer – anyone age 5+) Tuesday, Feb. 15 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Ambassador Bridge fully open after week-long blockade; Ottawa protests organizer says deal’s back on

An organizer with the Ottawa convoy says plans to relocate trucks today will, in fact, go ahead. Tamara Lich tweeted the note hours after denying they had struck a deal to move the vehicles and vowing to stay downtown until federal vaccine mandates are eliminated. The mayor’s office said earlier that Freedom Convoy organizers had agreed to the city’s demands to confine their protest activities to an area around Parliament Hill in exchange for a meeting with Jim Watson. The mayor said trucks had to be out of residential areas by noon Monday in order for the meeting to go ahead.
The Canada Border Services Agency says the Ambassador Bridge border crossing between Windsor, Ont., and Detroit has reopened. The crossing — one of the busiest in the country — had been closed for nearly a week by a blockade protesting COVID-19 measures. Police removed protesters from the site on Sunday, making more than two dozen arrests. They moved in after the Ontario Superior Court granted an injunction Friday barring protesters from blocking the bridge.
Ivan Reitman, acclaimed Canadian producer and director of Ghostbusters, dead at 75

Photo credit/AP
Ivan Reitman, the influential filmmaker and producer behind beloved comedies from “Animal House” to “Ghostbusters,” has died. He was 75. Reitman died peacefully in his sleep Saturday night at his home in Montecito, Calif., his family told The Associated Press. His children say in a statement that they are “grieving the unexpected loss of a husband, father, and grandfather who taught us to always seek the magic in life.” Reitman was born in Czechoslovakia and later moved with his family to Toronto. He went on to study music and drama at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ont., and began making movie shorts. Along with “Animal House” and “Ghostbusters,” he also directed “Twins,” “Kindergarten Cop,” “Dave,” “Junior” and 1998’s “Six Days, Seven Nights.” He also produced “Beethoven,” “Old School” and “EuroTrip,” and many others, including his son’s Oscar-nominated film “Up in the Air.” (The Canadian Press)
Sports:
Canada’s women’s hockey team beat Switzerland 10-3 in earn a spot in the gold medal game. Canadian Christine de Bruin won a bronze medal in the inaugural Olympic monobob race at the Beijing Olympics. It was the 32-year-old’s first Olympic medal. The Brad Gushue Team Canada rink beat Italy 7-3 to strengthen their playoff chances. Jennifer Jones’ Canadian rink improved to 2-and-3 in round-robin play at the women’s Olympic curling tournament, defeating Russia 11-5.
The Pictou County Weeks Junior A Crushers split their games on the weekend, winning 5-4 Friday night against Grand Falls and then falling 4-2 to Edmundston on Saturday.
The Los Angeles Rams defeated the Cincinnati Bengals, 23-20 to win Super Bowl 56. Rams Q-B Matthew Stafford found Cooper Kupp for a touchdown with 1:25 to play to put L-A up and Aaron Donald sealed the win sacking Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow with 39 seconds to play, ending the Bengals’ comeback bid.








