Nova Scotia reports six more deaths from COVID-19

The province reported six deaths related to COVID-19 on Tuesday. There were two deaths in each of the Central, Western and Northern Zones. Nova Scotia also reported seven new hospital admissions and three discharges. There are 74 people in hospital who were admitted due to COVID-19 and are receiving specialized care in a COVID-19 designated unit. That includes 11 people in ICU. 226 new lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported yesterday. There are an estimated 2,615 active cases of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia.
Federal Heath Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says vaccinated travellers will no longer need a molecular COVID-19 test to enter Canada starting February 28th. He says the COVID-19 situation in Canada has improved. He adds it’s great news because we’re all looking forward to living with fewer restrictions, but Duclos cautions our fight against the virus isn’t over yet. Duclos says more rules could be relaxed in the weeks to come depending on COVID-19 numbers.
New Recovery Support Centre opens in New Glasgow

Photo credit: Nova Scotia Health
The Houston Government says it’s restoring Addictions and Mental Health Supports in Pictou County. The Pictou County Recovery Support Centre is available to those who struggle with substance abuse and gambling addictions, and has been relocated from the Town of Pictou to the Aberdeen Hospital in New Glasgow. Officials say the new location provides appropriate space to offer both inpatient and day programs. Pictou West MLA Karla MacFarlane has been advocating for the supports to return to Pictou County. She says the new Recovery Support Centre coming to the Aberdeen Hospital is an important step in the right direction – providing addictions supports under an enhanced model of care.
Province to modernize ambulance fleet

The government is investing another $3.5 million to install state-of-the-art equipment in more ambulances in Nova Scotia. The purchase of 78 power stretchers and 65 power loaders means that by the end of the year all EHS ambulances and patient transfer units will be outfitted with the modern technology. Power stretchers and power loaders allow patients to be lifted into ambulances with the push of a button. The equipment will be delivered over the next six weeks from the manufacturer and the stretchers will be added to vehicles immediately. Loaders will be installed during planned vehicle maintenance between now and the end of the year.
Victims’ relatives feel ‘deep discouragement’ with Nova Scotia mass shooting inquiry

The law firm representing most victims’ families says they’re deeply discouraged as a public hearing is due to begin next Tuesday into the 2020 mass shooting in Nova Scotia. Patterson Law says its clients are worried their role will be “unduly reduced, if not actively restricted” at the inquiry into the shooting rampage that claimed 22 lives. The law firm based in Truro says the inquiry has offered limited information about the role witnesses will play in the proceedings. It says it’s also worried the fact-finding portion will be shortened due to delays in the proceedings, as the inquiry is required to file a final report by November 1st. (The Canadian Press)
Emergencies Act prohibits bringing children to ‘illegal’ blockades

Bringing children to the anti-government blockades that have immobilized downtown Ottawa and border crossings could net protesters a fine of up to five-thousand-dollars or five years in prison while the country is under the national Emergencies Act. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau invoked the act on Monday for the first time in Canadian history. Last week, Ottawa police said they believed about 100 children were living in trucks and R-Vs around Parliament Hill. The new law bans anyone from bringing a child within 500 metres of where demonstrations are taking place. (The Canadian Press)
Big Brothers Big Sisters Pictou County planning for in-person Bowl for Kids Sake this Spring

Pictured: Left to right Top: Debbie MacDonald, Terri MacDonald, Alaine Halliday. Bottom: Laura Crocket, Seth Burrill, and Theresa Dewar
Big Brothers Big Sisters has plans to hold its signature fund raising event, Bowl for Kids Sake, in-person. The well-known fundraiser was switched to a virtual event for the past two years, and this year they are making adjustments to ensure everyone’s safety as they gather to celebrate the work of Big Brothers Big Sisters. A breakfast kick-off event will be held on Friday, March 18th at the local Big Brothers Big Sisters office. The goal for the popular event which will be held on May 7th at the Heather Bowling Lanes is $55,000. This year the organization is celebrating local essential healthcare workers, who have remained at the forefront of the Covid-19 pandemic and say six outstanding healthcare professionals have been selected to be Honorary Chair People. These individuals will make up the Honorary Dream Team of Health Care Heroes – Seth Burrill (Registered Nurse, Aberdeen Hospital), Laura Crocket (Registered Nurse, Aberdeen Hospital), Theresa Dewar (Licensed Practical Nurse, Glen Haven Manor), Terry MacDonald (Covid Testing Center), Alaine Halliday (Covid Testing Center), and Debbie MacDonald (Covid Testing Center).








