Premier considering options as cost of living in the province continues to rise

Photo credit: The Canadian Press
Premier Tim Houston says he’s “incredibly concerned” about the overall increases to the cost of living in the province — including skyrocketing gas prices. Asked Tuesday if Nova Scotia would follow Alberta’s lead and temporarily stop collecting the provincial fuel tax, Houston said “everything is on the table right now.” But he said his government is still assessing what it can do to support residents under pressure from rising prices and no decisions have yet been made.
Nova Scotia’s mass shooting public inquiry update

Today, Nova Scotia’s mass shooting public inquiry is expected to delve into what happened on the night the killer spent in Debert. The hearings are scheduled to release a summary of the 23 kilometre trip that the perpetrator made from Portapique on the first night of the April 18 and 19th, 2020 rampage. The inquiry has already said it’s probable the shooter left Portapique sometime between 10:41 p-m and 10:45 p-m on April 18th, about three quarters of an hour after the rampage started. After spending his night in an industrial park in Debert, the killer continued to take lives on April 19th.
NSTU President says a substitute shortage making it difficult for teachers to meet the diverse needs of students

The president of the Nova Scotia Teachers Union says there’s a shortage of substitute teachers. Paul Wozney says the shortage is making it difficult for teachers to meet the diverse needs of students. The union is calling on the provincial government to increase compensation for substitute teachers to improve recruitment and retention. Wozney says the spread of the Omicron variant of the COVID-19 virus has placed tremendous strain on the education system, as teachers are being pulled from one classroom to the next to fill in for sick and isolating colleagues.
Province announces $8 million for sound stage, $15 million to boost film industry

Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson on the set of The Lighthouse in Yarmouth, N.S. (Screen Nova Scotia/Eric Chakeen)
The executive director of Screen Nova Scotia says a new provincial funding package is coming at a key time for the industry. Premier Tim Houston says an eight-million dollar investment to help build a new sound stage in Halifax will keep the momentum going after Nova Scotia’s film and T-V production grew significantly during the pandemic. Houston also announced a further 15-million dollars over five years to increase Nova Scotia film and television content. Laura Mackenzie of Screen Nova Scotia says a new sound stage will allow productions to continue year-round — and could bring in another 100-million dollars in production volume in a year.
Trudeau, German Chancellor Scholz to meet today in Berlin

Justin Trudeau will meet today with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz as he continues a European tour aimed at heading off further Russian aggression in Ukraine. The prime minister promised Baltic leaders on a whirlwind trip to Latvia that Canada will stand with them to fight Russia’s military aggression against Ukraine and its cyberattacks on their countries. (The Canadian Press)
Ontario Tory MP Leslyn Lewis confirms second bid for party leader

Ontario MP Leslyn Lewis is taking a second run at the Conservative leadership. She confirmed her candidacy in a 45-second video shared on social media Tuesday and emailed supporters asking for help to collect the 500 signatures she needs to officially enter the race. She is the second declared candidate in the race. Ottawa-area MP Pierre Poilievre, announced his candidacy last month just days after Erin O’Toole was voted out of the leadership by the Conservative caucus after just 17 months in the role. Former Quebec premier Jean Charest has scheduled a campaign launch event in Calgary Thursday, where he will formally announce his candidacy. (The Canadian Press)








