Police in Stellarton are investigating the death of a man found behind a power substation as a possible copper-wire theft attempt.
Stellarton police said they were called by Nova Scotia Power at 8 am, after employees found a deceased man at the substation on North Foord Street.
The man’s identity has not been confirmed.
In a statement, the chief operating officer of Nova Scotia Power said their thoughts were with the family of the man, but this situation is a grave reminder of just how dangerous the theft of copper wire can be.
NS Power said live wire can carry more than 25,000 volts of electricity, which makes it a very high risk for an electrocution that can be fatal, can generate unstable electrical current for customers, and create dangerous working conditions for crews.
They are cooperating fully with the Stellarton Police as they investigate this situation.
Anyone with information about the incident or video from the area is asked to call 902-752-6160 or contact Crime Stoppers.
The federal government is pledging $46.2 billion dollars in new funding to the provinces and territories in an almost $200 billion deal over the next 10 years.
This new cross-Canada offer includes both increases to the Canada Health Transfer as well as federal plans to sign bilateral deals with each province and territory.
Included in this working deal is an immediate national and “unconditional” $2-billion top-up to the Canada Health Transfer to address urgent pressures being experienced at pediatric hospitals and in emergency and operating rooms.
$25 billion over 10 years is being pledged for decade-long bilateral deals with each province and territory tailored to their health-care needs, but connected to shared priorities such as family health access, investing in mental health and substance abuse services; and modernizing the health information system.
Another $1.7 billion over five years to support hourly wage increases for personal support workers and related professions in hopes of retaining, recruiting, and recognizing the credentials of health-care workers.
The Municipality of Pictou County is holding an information session about better quality internet being rolled out for Rural Pictou County residents.
The first of its Wi-Fi towers are up and operational and the rest will soon follow.
The towers are meant to bring quality internet to areas of the county that previously had poor service.
Many people have already been able to connect in some areas such as Green Hill and near the MOPC building.
The Wi-Fi service, which has been branded FirstHome, is separate from the fibre optic internet project the county is working on simultaneously.
The Wi-Fi project is funded through the federal government’s $4.46 million Universal Broadband Rapid Response fund, along with a $3.32 million contribution from the MOPC.
Last Thursday, the MOPC held its first information session on the service at the Durham Community Centre and more sessions are planned in the coming weeks as the service is rolled out.
Boil Water Advisories are still in place for Priestville/Walkerville, Alma, and Green Hill.
Water has gone for testing and results are expected soon.
You can continue to check the Municipality of Pictou Counties Website or their social media pages for updates.








