The public inquiry into Nova Scotia’s mass shooting says its final report will be released in seven volumes when it comes out on March 30th.
The public inquiry’s mandate included examining the police response, access to firearms, gender-based violence and the steps taken to inform the public as it unfolded.
It is also expected to make recommendations to improve community safety across Canada.
In all, 22 people were shot to death during the rampage on April 18th and 19th, 2020.
Nova Scotia is investing another 12-million dollars in modular housing for health care workers and skilled tradespeople in communities with a housing shortage.
The funding is in addition to eight-million dollars announced in January for transitional housing to support the recruitment and retention of healthcare professionals and other needed workers.
The provincial government says communities targeted for the latest round of funding include Cumberland, Antigonish, Guysborough, Inverness, South Shore and Colchester.
The first units are expected to be delivered this summer.
An independent report says there is evidence that a Halifax university protected a professor charged last year in alleged sexual assaults on campus in the 1970’s and 1980’s.
The report also says Wayne Hankey used his power and position while he was a professor at University of King’s College to target and abuse young men and students.
King’s says Hankey — who died last year after he was charged with three counts of sexual assault — was disciplined in 1991 following an internal inquiry and returned to teaching after a one-year suspension.
The report released by the school on Wednesday says it should issue a public apology and make amends to the individuals harmed by Hankey — which could include financial compensation.
A COVID-19 summary for the month of February for Nova Scotia indicates that the province saw decreases in COVID-19 related deaths, hospitalizations, and positive PCR test results when compared to January.
There were 15 COVID-19 related deaths last month in Nova Scotia, 119 hospitalizations and 1,595 positive PCR test results.
An annual report by an advocacy group says Nova Scotia jails have been using COVID-19 as an excuse to keep too many restrictions in place.
The East Coast Prison Justice Society published its report yesterday on conditions of confinement.
It says while nursing homes loosened restrictions some time ago, Nova Scotia’s prisoners continue to face long periods on lockdown and experience ongoing barriers to communication and visits with lawyers and family.
The committee bases its findings on 180 calls between September
2021 and August 2022 from 70 inmates in men’s jails.








