Environment Canada has issued wind warnings that cover Nova Scotia, P-E-I, and parts of Newfoundland and Labrador.
The weather agency says maximum wind gust speeds are expected to hit between 90 and 100 kilometres an hour.
In Nova Scotia, wind is expected to intensify this morning through until the evening.
In Pictou County, southeast winds are forecast to be gusting to 80kh later this morning.
For tonight, they get even stronger, becoming south 70 gusting to 100 this evening.
The high winds are expected to hit P-E-I and Newfoundland and Labrador this afternoon and continue into the early morning tomorrow.
Pictou County is also under a Rainfall warning.
Rain at times heavy tonight giving 15 to 25 mm, except 40 mm in areas of heaviest rain.
The heavy rain is to continue Tuesday giving a further 15 to 25 mm except another 50 mm in areas of heaviest rain.
Nova Scotia Power is activating its emergency operations centre this morning, ahead of the high winds and rain expected to hit the province.
Matt Drover, who oversees storm response for the utility, says with the storm expected to bring strong winds, preparations are underway for potential outages.
He says crews are being positioned in various communities across the province, so they are ready to respond quickly.
Drover says the utility has invested 32 million dollars in tree trimming this year to date, in an effort to reduce the chances of trees falling on lines.
With gale force winds in the forecast, Northumberland Ferries has cancelled all sailings for the day today between Caribou and Wood Islands, PEI.
RCMP in Nova Scotia have released stats for October and November and that includes drivers charged for driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
For the months of October and November, Nova Scotia RCMP charged 254 drivers with impaired related offences.
131 were charged with Impaired by Alcohol; 12 were charged with Impaired by Drug; 24 were charged with Refusal of a Demand Made by a Peace Officer; and 87 were issued driving suspensions for driving while Having Consumed Alcohol.
Police in Cape Breton say they have found a body near the vehicle belonging to the missing 87-year-old man at the centre of a province-wide emergency alert issued last week.
The Cape Breton Regional Police say a body was found in a remote area off Birch Point Road in South Cove.
The body was discovered near the vehicle that Evan John “Jackie” Davies was last seen driving before he went missing from the Glace Bay area.
Last Tuesday, an emergency alert was issued, asking for assistance from the public in finding the 87-year-old man with dementia.
A new study has found the use of fire resistant materials and introduction of buffer zones could drastically reduce the wildfire risk to Canadian communities.
The study released by the Intact Centre on Climate Adaptation at the University of Waterloo says if homeowners removed shrubs and trees from near their homes and stored firewood further away, they could reduce the risk of their homes burning during a wildfire by up to 75 per cent.
It also advocates for communities to take steps like removing tree branches close to power lines and adding 30-metre buffer zones to community planning designs.
The study found 60 per cent of Canadian communities are vulnerable to wildfire because of how close they are to forests and grasslands.








