Financial markets are expecting the Bank of Canada to cut its key interest rate a quarter point on Wednesday.
But some analysts are predicting the bank will hold off for now.
The central bank’s governing council will be looking at recent economic data, including lower inflation, first-quarter economic growth that fell short of its expectations and an April jobs report that produced the largest employment increase in more than a year.
The investigation continues into Saturday morning’s incident which saw New Glasgow Regional Police respond to a report of a man waving a machete at a business on Westville Road in New Glasgow. While the man was waving a machete outside the business, the staff quickly locked the doors. However, the man got in by smashing the front-side door, and once inside, he immediately fled the scene. Police arrived and located the suspect nearby where he was arrested and taken into custody. Police seized a machete and a pickup truck, which was idling and parked in the middle of the road. The 42-year-old man from Pictou County was charged with Assault with a Weapon; Possession of a Weapon Dangerous; Mischief; Operation of a Motor Vehicle While Prohibited.
William MacDonald is the new Nova Scotia Police Complaints Commissioner. A news release says MacDonald, who replaces retired provincial court judge Patrick Curran, will begin his three-year term effective immediately. It says MacDonald held several positions, including police oversight consultant and investigator for the Nova Scotia Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner. The Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner is responsible for investigating complaints by citizens alleging misconduct by municipal police officers and gives administrative support to the Police Review Board.
A disability rights advocate is raising questions about the Nova Scotia government’s assertion that it is making substantial progress in implementing a five-year plan to ensure people with disabilities receive better support. Vicky Levack, who sits on the board of the Disability Rights Coalition, says the government’s one-year progress report shows it is moving in the right direction, but she says the province can’t ignore the fact that it failed to reach a key deadline earlier this year. Under the five-year plan, the province agreed to stop admitting people with disabilities into large institutions as of March 31st of this year, but the government recently confirmed the deadline has been extended to January 1st. Levack says that failure has cast a shadow over the government’s other accomplishments, saying provincial officials are — quote — “patting themselves on the back a little too hard.”








