Nova Scotians and all Canadians are waking up to a new and uncertain reality after U-S President Donald Trump’s deadline for economy-wide tariffs passed overnight, triggering a continental trade war. Trump’s executive order imposed 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs, with a lower 10 per cent levy on Canadian energy as of midnight eastern time. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in a statement Monday that Canada was ready to respond with its own 25 per cent tariffs on $155 billion worth of American goods. He says the retaliatory tariffs will remain in place until the U-S ceases its tariffs.
.
.
While the new U-S tariffs will have a huge economic effect on Canadians, American consumers are also expected to feel a pinch. President Donald Trump’s moves have raised fears of higher inflation and the prospect of a devastating trade war. Democratic lawmakers have been quick to criticize the tariffs, but even some Republican senators have raised alarms. Senator Susan Collins of Maine says she’s “very concerned” about the tariffs going into effect because of her state’s proximity to Canada and the integration of their economies.
In early February, before the one month pause on the tariffs, Premier Tim Houston announced that in response to U.S. tariffs, Nova Scotia would take a number of steps, including limiting access to provincial procurement for American businesses. Houston said the Province would look for opportunities to cancel existing contracts and maintain the option to reject bids outright because of President Trump’s unlawful tariffs. The Province also said the cost of tolls at the Cobequid Pass would double for commercial vehicles from the United States, and the Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation would be directed to remove all alcohol from the United States from its shelves.
The death of an 83-year old Bridgewater woman is being linked to intimate partner violence, the seventh such death in the province in five months. Police say they received a 9-1-1 call Sunday at around noon about a woman in medical distress who appeared to have suffered injuries inflected by a weapon. They say the woman died at the scene while an elderly man was found in another room inside the home with “related injuries.” The woman’s 85-year-old husband was arrested at the scene and later charged with first degree murder.
The RCMP says young Nova Scotians lost over $140,000 last year to extortion and romance scams. The RCMP says romance scams thrive on secrecy, manipulation, and speed. Police advise that you stay skeptical, trust your instincts, and DON’T send any intimate images to anyone.
The deadline has been extended for nominations for the Volunteer Awards 2025. It’s an opportunity to recognize volunteers residing in New Glasgow, and volunteering in Pictou County or New Glasgow. The new deadline to nominate volunteers is Sunday, March 9th.








